The Eighth Sign
Tracy Funches an award-winning photographer, started his career in Paris, France, where he lived for seven years. He focuses on portraiture and has photographed people like poet Gill-Scott Heron, jazz great Ron Carter, Donald Byrd, singer Youssou N’Dour, rap star Biggie Smalls, Busta Rhymes, Erykah Baduh, actor Dennis Hopper, Julian Schnabel, writer Quentin Crisp, Lauryn Hill, Ice Cube, Don Cherry and Gary Oldman. His work has been included in Life ‘Best Magazine Photography of 1998’, Interview, The New Yorker, Vibe, Source, Musician, Out and the Japanese title Blast. Collections include the Yoshii Gallery in Tokyo, Japan, Tony Shafrazi Gallery in New York, the Julian Schnable collection and the Agnes B. Gallery in Paris, France. Selected for auction at the Harper’s Bazaar 2000 Aids Benefit. He was nominated for Columbia University’s Albert Eisenstein Award for magazine photography in 1998. Tracy is one of the catalysts for the recent surge in popular interest in pimp culture. As a producer for HBO’s highly successful documentary Pimps Up, Ho’s Down Tracy brought legitimacy to both the project and the filmmakers. Without his flawless reputation among the players in this world access would have been impossible. Born in Jackson, Mississippi, he has traveled extensively through Europe and the Far East. He currently resides in Manhattan.
An explosive, intimate and honest photographic and narrative examination of the fascinating underworld of pimps and their women. Pimp culture has long held a fascination for the mass public. With the stunning, shocking and beautiful photographs by one of America's leading photographers, Tracy Funches, and the compelling, brutal narrative of Rob Marriott, a leading hip-hop journalist, PIMPNOSIS examines the pimp culture in a new light. Instead of glamourising pimping, PIMPNOSIS looks at the intricate bond between a pimp and his prostitutes and why this culture captivates the public.
View all works from Tracy Funches
The Eighth Sign
Artist(s): Tracy Funches
- Retna works available
- My nose My stekkerdoos by Studio Job & Lensvelt
- Pipsqueak was here!!! auction at Bonhams, London
- The London Police at Look for Art Gallery
- Should you invest in Banksy?
- Last Books: Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf, signed
- 12/04/13 – 14/06/13 Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf
- New David Spiller Prints
- Cathleen Naundorf Haute Couture
- Pipsqueak was here: Read the room installation
- 5-10 Februari Art at the Warehouse
- What a Job! Prints
- BMW M Z3 Coupe by Anton Corbijn
- New Neon’s by Pipsqueak was here!!! at Bubbles
- Book signing SHOE American Bookstore, Spui
- New work by Zeus(UK)
- November Avro Street Art maand op televisie
- Artwork Erwin Stienstra in Groningen
- Urban Art Auction at Bonhams
- Plastic People by Peter Hebbing & Paul Ruigrok
- 14-11-12 / 12-12-12 Richard Kuiper in Vanitas; Contemporary Reflections MOMA Moscow
- 21/10/12 Richard Kuiper in the National Center for Contemporary Arts Arsenal Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
- New work by Zeus!
- Please Share & Vote for Pipsqueak was here!!!
- new works by Pipsqueak was here!!!
- Russian Women by Alice Wielinga
- Cris Toala Olivares, an amazing photographer!
- Best auction results street artists under 40
- JR Inside Out in Tilburg! Moeders gezocht..
- Time lapse in Beijing by Alice Wielinga
- 30 Augustus opening “Fijne Hanen” van Alice Wielinga & Cris Toala Olivares
- From Zero to Hero meet Hereford & Capt. Hereford at Het Arsenaal
- Interview with Matt Small on BBC
- You are not Banksy, now available by Nick Stern!
- New print release EINE, with great promo video
- Oranje Kunst!
- Street Artist Ben EINE makes it into Amsterdam
- Pipsqueak was here!!! Wall at Krakeling, Amsterdam
- 21st of June – 17th of August ‘t Hollands stilleven in plastic by Richard Kuiper
- Preview Kunst Rai, stand 44, Look for Art Gallery
- Jesse Faber: Recycled Rembrandt Paintings
- New work by Paul Blanca!
- New David Spiller Prints
- 24 May 2012 Opening W Books Store, with art from Look for Art Gallery
- Lastplak skate bowl in Jordaan, Amsterdam
- Invest in Art NOW: Philips de Pury sets new record for Basquiat!
- Invest in Art NOW; another evening sale with record prices
- Bear Market? Invest in Art NOW
- Punk Princess by Alice Wielinga