The Sacrifical Penumbra
Born 1947, Newark, USA
The figures in the works of Terry Rodgers live in a world where everything is desirable, where lust and decadence seem to reign supreme. People with fit, sensual bodies bathe in wealth and strike a perfect pose while doing so. Their expressions seem to contrast with the promises of their surroundings. They do not interract with each other and their boredom and inner struggle is very tangible. Their enormous egos drive them to a strange kind of narcistic hedonism, devoid of social value. These are not people living in a paradise of aesthetic capitalism. Rather, they are trapped within their search for purpose in a society that is driven by unfullfilling consumerism. Behind the blasé looks an awareness of the uselessness of a search for meaning between the myths of modern desire is hidden.
Rodgers combines his studies of models found all over the world to monumental photorealistic pieces. Among these models whe find people from bars, clubs, restaurants, airports and the streets of the city he happens to be in. His selections seem to mirror the current massproduction of 'stardom' made available by television. Fame has become an even more shallow concept than it ever was since it has become attainable for practically anyone willing to sell themselves. His craftmanship allows him to achieve the level of detail needed to present both the wealth and the decay of a modern utopian fantasy.
View all works from Terry Rodgers
The Sacrifical Penumbra
Artist(s): Terry Rodgers
- Street Art comes off the streets at the Moniker Art Fair 2013
- Release of two Prints of the London Police at the Moniker Art Fair 2013
- Preparing for the Moniker Art Fair 2013
- Pipsqueak was here!!! at the Moniker Art Fair London
- Look for Art Gallery at Moniker Art Fair, London
- Banksy: Market still buoyant
- Opening the London Police & Zeus great success
- 5th July – 4th Sept. The London Police and Zeus(UK)
- Retna works available
- My nose My stekkerdoos by Studio Job & Lensvelt
- Pipsqueak was here!!! auction at Bonhams, London
- The London Police at Look for Art Gallery
- Should you invest in Banksy?
- Last Books: Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf, signed
- 12/04/13 – 14/06/13 Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf
- New David Spiller Prints
- Cathleen Naundorf Haute Couture
- Pipsqueak was here: Read the room installation
- 5-10 Februari Art at the Warehouse
- What a Job! Prints
- BMW M Z3 Coupe by Anton Corbijn
- New Neon’s by Pipsqueak was here!!! at Bubbles
- Book signing SHOE American Bookstore, Spui
- New work by Zeus(UK)
- November Avro Street Art maand op televisie
- Artwork Erwin Stienstra in Groningen
- Urban Art Auction at Bonhams
- Plastic People by Peter Hebbing & Paul Ruigrok
- 14-11-12 / 12-12-12 Richard Kuiper in Vanitas; Contemporary Reflections MOMA Moscow
- 21/10/12 Richard Kuiper in the National Center for Contemporary Arts Arsenal Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
- New work by Zeus!
- Please Share & Vote for Pipsqueak was here!!!
- new works by Pipsqueak was here!!!
- Russian Women by Alice Wielinga
- Cris Toala Olivares, an amazing photographer!
- Best auction results street artists under 40
- JR Inside Out in Tilburg! Moeders gezocht..
- Time lapse in Beijing by Alice Wielinga
- 30 Augustus opening “Fijne Hanen” van Alice Wielinga & Cris Toala Olivares
- From Zero to Hero meet Hereford & Capt. Hereford at Het Arsenaal
- Interview with Matt Small on BBC
- You are not Banksy, now available by Nick Stern!
- New print release EINE, with great promo video
- Oranje Kunst!
- Street Artist Ben EINE makes it into Amsterdam
- Pipsqueak was here!!! Wall at Krakeling, Amsterdam
- 21st of June – 17th of August ‘t Hollands stilleven in plastic by Richard Kuiper
- Preview Kunst Rai, stand 44, Look for Art Gallery
- Jesse Faber: Recycled Rembrandt Paintings