Mail Order Bride
“THE MAGICAL WORLD OF ALICE”
Lives and works in Amsterdam, NL
Alice Wielinga (1981) was born and raised in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
She began her formal studies in photography in 2000, at the Academy of St. Joost, Breda. This school is known for its’ strong documentary tradition. She completed her bachelor’s degree in 2004. Upon graduation, Alice went on to pursue documentary photography; some of her works involved documenting circus life and immigrant workers in Dubai. During her studies at the Academy of St. Joost, Alice became one of the first few to embrace the power and opportunities of modern digital photography. Instead of seeing this revolution as a loss of traditional craftsmanship, she experienced these new technologies as an enormous widening of possibilities for visual expression.
Alice continued her education in 2009, spending six months in New York City, attending master classes in digital manipulation, advertising and fashion photography at The International Center of Photography.
Currently, Alice is moving with her work into an area between photography and painting. “It seems to me as if I make paintings, not while using traditional oil paints, but with the use of 21st century techniques in photography and digital imaging”. The work cannot be placed in traditional categories. It encompasses documentary, art and commercial photography, and at the same time, does not fit in any of these categories. Her photography is a reflection of her fantasy, and not a testimony of reality. Alice constructs her works piece by piece; each element may be photographed at different times and locations, sometimes even in different parts of the world. She also combines self-drawn or painted elements with her photographic material. The whole becomes visible as she pieces the puzzle together. The early Netherlandish painters and the Russian realistic painters have inspired Alice. She is also fascinated by paintings made during the Qing Dynasty in Imperial China, and by Persian miniatures. In these works she recognizes a purity of visual language and composition, which she believes is of the utmost relevance in communicating current messages. With the creation of a series Alice tells a personal story: a magical fairy tale, a political statement or it may reflect certain historical references. The images may be girlish, comic, fairytale or collage-like, are at one time utopian, and at other times filled with violence and slaughter. Alice’s images are rich with color, detail and narrative.
It is through the narrative that her work remains linked to the documentary tradition, while drawing on contemporary image techniques to express the plural human and social reality, from a personal point of view.
View all works from Alice Wielinga
Mail Order Bride
Artist(s): Alice Wielinga
- Retna works available
- My nose My stekkerdoos by Studio Job & Lensvelt
- Pipsqueak was here!!! auction at Bonhams, London
- The London Police at Look for Art Gallery
- Should you invest in Banksy?
- Last Books: Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf, signed
- 12/04/13 – 14/06/13 Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf
- New David Spiller Prints
- Cathleen Naundorf Haute Couture
- Pipsqueak was here: Read the room installation
- 5-10 Februari Art at the Warehouse
- What a Job! Prints
- BMW M Z3 Coupe by Anton Corbijn
- New Neon’s by Pipsqueak was here!!! at Bubbles
- Book signing SHOE American Bookstore, Spui
- New work by Zeus(UK)
- November Avro Street Art maand op televisie
- Artwork Erwin Stienstra in Groningen
- Urban Art Auction at Bonhams
- Plastic People by Peter Hebbing & Paul Ruigrok
- 14-11-12 / 12-12-12 Richard Kuiper in Vanitas; Contemporary Reflections MOMA Moscow
- 21/10/12 Richard Kuiper in the National Center for Contemporary Arts Arsenal Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
- New work by Zeus!
- Please Share & Vote for Pipsqueak was here!!!
- new works by Pipsqueak was here!!!
- Russian Women by Alice Wielinga
- Cris Toala Olivares, an amazing photographer!
- Best auction results street artists under 40
- JR Inside Out in Tilburg! Moeders gezocht..
- Time lapse in Beijing by Alice Wielinga
- 30 Augustus opening “Fijne Hanen” van Alice Wielinga & Cris Toala Olivares
- From Zero to Hero meet Hereford & Capt. Hereford at Het Arsenaal
- Interview with Matt Small on BBC
- You are not Banksy, now available by Nick Stern!
- New print release EINE, with great promo video
- Oranje Kunst!
- Street Artist Ben EINE makes it into Amsterdam
- Pipsqueak was here!!! Wall at Krakeling, Amsterdam
- 21st of June – 17th of August ‘t Hollands stilleven in plastic by Richard Kuiper
- Preview Kunst Rai, stand 44, Look for Art Gallery
- Jesse Faber: Recycled Rembrandt Paintings
- New work by Paul Blanca!
- New David Spiller Prints
- 24 May 2012 Opening W Books Store, with art from Look for Art Gallery
- Lastplak skate bowl in Jordaan, Amsterdam
- Invest in Art NOW: Philips de Pury sets new record for Basquiat!
- Invest in Art NOW; another evening sale with record prices
- Bear Market? Invest in Art NOW
- Punk Princess by Alice Wielinga