“Mr. Brainwash is a force of nature, he’s a phenomenon. And I don't mean that in a good way.”
Mr. Brainwash is an enigma. I want to hug him one second and smack him the next. He is awesome, infuriating, almost impossible to define, but if an artist is defined by relentless, obsessive passion, then MBW is definitely an artist. Which kind of artist though? When I first met MBW he was a film maker. He started documenting me putting art up on the streets and in galleries back in ’99. He has hundreds of hours of footage and often risked his neck climbing with a camera to very dangerous spots. MBW’s camera was ALWAYS on… Theoretically MBW is coming out with an OBEY documentary eventually. Somewhere along the way I introduced MBW to Banksy, which seemed to lead him to transition from just a voyeur to a participant, and he began making his own street art. MBW told me he used to paint and had actually sold his art to Michael Jackson years ago. Knowing this art background and his obsessive nature, it does not surprise me how quickly MBW rose to prominence with his street art, becoming one of the most “up” people in LA in a short amount of time. Not all of the work was magnificent, but it improved steadily, reflecting the maxim that practice yields results. Meanwhile, in addition to his street art, as flows logically, MBW was also making canvases and screen prints that could be shown in a gallery. In his usual style, MBW could not just do a small art show, he had to go completely over the top and put together one of the largest, most ambitious, non-museum shows I can think of (more detailed description below). Of course nothing can go smoothly with MBW and over the weekend he wrecked his car and fell off a billboard breaking his foot. A less insane person would have postponed their art show, but he instead postponed his foot surgery and is continuing work. With the ambition and commitment MBW has, I’m pretty sure he’ll pull the show off, but if he doesn’t, to paraphrase Malcolm Mclaren, a glorious failure is better than an underwhelming success. I will be playing records and a jazz band will perform, so it is going to be a good party.
- Shepard Fairey / Obey
View all works from Mr Brainwash
Artist(s): Mr Brainwash
- Street Art comes off the streets at the Moniker Art Fair 2013
- Release of two Prints of the London Police at the Moniker Art Fair 2013
- Preparing for the Moniker Art Fair 2013
- Pipsqueak was here!!! at the Moniker Art Fair London
- Look for Art Gallery at Moniker Art Fair, London
- Banksy: Market still buoyant
- Opening the London Police & Zeus great success
- 5th July – 4th Sept. The London Police and Zeus(UK)
- Retna works available
- My nose My stekkerdoos by Studio Job & Lensvelt
- Pipsqueak was here!!! auction at Bonhams, London
- The London Police at Look for Art Gallery
- Should you invest in Banksy?
- Last Books: Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf, signed
- 12/04/13 – 14/06/13 Haute Couture by Cathleen Naundorf
- New David Spiller Prints
- Cathleen Naundorf Haute Couture
- Pipsqueak was here: Read the room installation
- 5-10 Februari Art at the Warehouse
- What a Job! Prints
- BMW M Z3 Coupe by Anton Corbijn
- New Neon’s by Pipsqueak was here!!! at Bubbles
- Book signing SHOE American Bookstore, Spui
- New work by Zeus(UK)
- November Avro Street Art maand op televisie
- Artwork Erwin Stienstra in Groningen
- Urban Art Auction at Bonhams
- Plastic People by Peter Hebbing & Paul Ruigrok
- 14-11-12 / 12-12-12 Richard Kuiper in Vanitas; Contemporary Reflections MOMA Moscow
- 21/10/12 Richard Kuiper in the National Center for Contemporary Arts Arsenal Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
- New work by Zeus!
- Please Share & Vote for Pipsqueak was here!!!
- new works by Pipsqueak was here!!!
- Russian Women by Alice Wielinga
- Cris Toala Olivares, an amazing photographer!
- Best auction results street artists under 40
- JR Inside Out in Tilburg! Moeders gezocht..
- Time lapse in Beijing by Alice Wielinga
- 30 Augustus opening “Fijne Hanen” van Alice Wielinga & Cris Toala Olivares
- From Zero to Hero meet Hereford & Capt. Hereford at Het Arsenaal
- Interview with Matt Small on BBC
- You are not Banksy, now available by Nick Stern!
- New print release EINE, with great promo video
- Oranje Kunst!
- Street Artist Ben EINE makes it into Amsterdam
- Pipsqueak was here!!! Wall at Krakeling, Amsterdam
- 21st of June – 17th of August ‘t Hollands stilleven in plastic by Richard Kuiper
- Preview Kunst Rai, stand 44, Look for Art Gallery
- Jesse Faber: Recycled Rembrandt Paintings